Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Musical


Like the fall Homecoming parade and the yearly roller skating class in PE, the 5th grade musical seems to always make it into one of my blogs.  Maybe part of the reason I like to shoot it is that I was never involved in plays or musicals at all in school for I am not a stage type person.  I rather enjoy just staying behind the scenes, recording what others are doing, in this case-performing.



It's interesting to see these students in a different light (so to speak) -I have all of them in  my art class as well.  I get to witness a different side of them-singing talent that I never knew about and their acting ability-well, I do have some idea of that!  The cool thing about it all is witnessing them out of their typical element, and there are always some surprises, which are welcome to see.



Some kids have strong personalities or are leaders in their respective classes.  Even though they are still young, as a teacher, you have a pretty good feeling that they will be successful their entire life.



Other students may only get this one chance to be in front of an audience and perform and it'll probably be something they'll remember forever.  Quiet shy kids that honestly stunned me with how they could sing.    Even more so that they were brave enough to be singled out from their peers at the edge of the stage.



An image like this will sure to come back during their senior year to the sounds of giggles and laughter at what once was during an earlier time.  There will be plenty of changes in the ensuing years, but some will still be these kids on the inside.


Will the same personalities be there in later years?  Most likely not-not to be a bummer, but having taught enough years, kids that seemed one way while young do change, and not always for the better.  Thankfully there are always others who are what you saw when they were in 5th grade and always carry that youthful innocent optimism and joy somewhere inside.  Thank goodness.


No comments:

Post a Comment